Monday, August 31, 2009

Egg on the face!

After successfully negotiating and bringing down the price of a cup of tea from Rs 4 to Rs 3.75 with my teawalla, (explaining economic recession, cost control, value proposition etc), I thought it was time for a few game of FreeCell.

In came two guys in their mid thirties, smartly dressed and looking surprised to see me sitting alone in a big office in Koramangala. They were just looking around my office, the computer systems and the décor and nodding their heads in approval. I thought they are my prospective clients who had come to see my place in response to my advertisement “office space to share”.

“Yes, how can I help you?” I looked up and asked.

“Sir, can we have a few minutes of your time please?”

“I am a little busy (playing FreeCell), but still, I can spare a few minutes. Please, sit down.”

“Sir, we saw your posting in RYZE offering office space and also counseling/advisory service for start ups. We are starting a new business and we want some help from you. We heard that you are a successful entrepreneur yourself and you had helped many start ups”.

(Stupid! If I were successful, why am I sitting here alone like this?). “Oh sure, sure, you know I am a serial entrepreneur (failed in many businesses). Helped many start ups (to wind up). It is a long story any way. But tell me, what business are you guys thinking of? And what’s your background? And, how can I help you?” I asked with an air of authority.

They explained. Both of them were engineers, each with about 10 years of experience in IT companies. One was working on Mobile Application Development and another was on Business Analytics and Design. Both got retrenched very recently from big companies and are not getting any jobs. They have a saving of about Rs 50 lakhs individually apart from investment on properties. Both were well travelled, well connected and well oiled.

“So, you want to start a business on Mobile Communication” I said with confidence, connecting both their expertise.

“No sir, we want to start a bakery business and we want your help” said the BAD guy (Business Analytics and Design guy).

“Bakery business?” I thundered. My words echoed seven times in the empty hall. “What is the synergy”?

“Sir, I like biscuits and chocolates. His brother-in-law has got a bakery in Ernagulam. My “ungle” is in Saudi. So, we want to make Biscuits, cakes, bread, burger base and pizza base and sell them to big hotels and also to small bakeries” said the MAD guy (Mobile Application Development guy).

“And I know how to route and distribute them through different channels. I have analyzed the business and there is big scope for growth” said the BAD guy.

“You know, McDonald has already agreed to take 500 kgs of buns and cakes from us every day”….the MAD guy.

“We have also taken on lease an 18500 sq ft factory space at Hennur. We are arranging 50hp uninterrupted power supply. Factory will work two shifts initially, going to 3 shifts in six months”. We have already lined up for 20 tempos on hire for transportation”. …BAD

“Twenty tempos? What will you do with them?” I asked.

Sir, we have to get 5000 fresh eggs every day. They can’t be sourced from a single point. We have to collect them from different nodal points and bring them to one centralized point. Tempos are required for this purpose.

“Ok, very good. You guys seem to have already done lot of ground work. I am sure you would have drafted a business plan too. What do you want me to look at and how do you want me to help?” I asked.

“Sir, we came to know through RYZE that you have this place to let out in Koramangala. It is a central place with good parking space. If only you remove those computer systems and the cabins, we would like to take it on rent. It will be an ideal central place for us to collect the eggs, store them here and transport them to Hennur”!!

You have to see egg on my face, to believe!

3 comments:

  1. Jun 12, 2009 10:20 am re: Special moment to share

    Manoj Vijayan
    LOL :-)


    Jun 13, 2009 6:13 am re: re: Special moment to share

    Nagarajan B
    Dear Kumar,

    Look at the positive side ... You got some response!!! :))

    Maybe you should try your hand at writing a small autobiography putting together various episodes like this?

    I am sure it will make interesting reading and you will definitely have people in splits :)

    Warm regards,
    Naga

    Jun 13, 2009 7:25 am re: re: re: Special moment to share

    Shivaji Jammalmadugu
    Positive side of the story:

    They have Rs. 10 million cash + properties and part of RYZE looking for support from RYZERs. Isn't that motivating for enterprenuers that they will get the right contacts?

    Cheers,

    Shivaji.

    PS: My channel partner in Oman is an active member of RYZE and helped win few good references there.

    Jun 15, 2009 3:02 am re: re: re: re: Special moment to share

    Sam ..

    Barter it Sir.. a 10% stake in return for the office space and trust me you could be speaging in malayalam very soon.

    Once you have learnt the trade, you could replicate it.. lock stock barrel ;)

    Jun 15, 2009 3:47 am re: re: re: re: re: Special moment to share

    Manoj Sethu
    I think it is a positive thing.

    There are only two ways about it.
    One - go with it and make it a new business venture.
    Two - say No

    I think if you own that space, you should go with it.

    Of course, as long as

    - you are willing to dabble with new ideas
    - they have the requisite permissions and registrations to start bakery etc.
    - they ensure to meet fire safety standards, cleanliness and good environment practices (not mess up the neighbourhood)
    - mutually agree on a business model; either rent based or % share basis (for the later, ofcourse you must have a study of their market / clientele claims, some intent to purchase etc. Alternatively you could go for rentals for 6 months and then switch to % share, if agreeable to them.

    Jun 17, 2009 5:25 am re: re: re: re: re: re: Special moment to share

    Gopal Krishnan
    I was rolling in the chair when I read the piece. Has the first batch of eggs arrived?

    Jun 18, 2009 1:25 pm re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Special moment to share

    HEMANTH KUMAR

    LOL :)
    Jun 25, 2009 1:07 am re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Special moment to share

    Anita Raju
    Laughed at the humour in the situation! Nice of you to share it.

    Actually, there is hardly any 'business' possibility in this network. Some exceptions will be there, but mostly it is a chat network or a classifieds. So, in a sense others too must have had such experiences. I certainly have had, but I did not see the humour in it then. Was frustrated actually. But, now after your piece, I see that the mistake was mine. Expecting too much.

    So, now thanks to you, we can all take things lightly. :-)

    Jun 25, 2009 4:29 am re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Special moment to share

    V Kumar
    Yes, that's the spirit Anita. We need to have a realistic expectation depending upon the group we are in.

    I notice in Ryze Network that there are many sellers of services than buyers. Just look at the threads like Real Estate, IT Products etc. So the trick is that we should use this network to buying things rather than selling. Look at what we need to buy and check out with Ryze whether we can get it cheap.

    Perhaps it might be a good idea to start a thread on "want to buy". Sellers can then pick up from there.

    If you want to sell, then go to niche networks. Like, if you want to sell cement go to Real Estate network.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jun 26, 2009 3:27 am re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Special moment to share

    Sam ..

    I think its a common perception we all start with when we join Ryze. I too carried the same perception, despite the fact that I wasnt selling anything or buying anything. The funda of business networking was an alien concept to me and then things start to roll after attending the first mixer.

    Over the last 5 years I have been on Ryze, I have made some very good friends, landed a great job which gave me learnings that helped me immensely when I set up my own venture, help me expand my business eco-system and connect with people who I would have otherwise never known existed on this planet.

    The one incident I want to highlight here is how a stranger can help you build your business. When I was setting up my little venture, I was looking to hire PCs, I put up a posting looking for PC hiring vendors and I got lot of responses. Some of them couldnt meet my price point and some, after scrutinising my start-up status declined to supply. I wasnt sure if I would ever find PCs to hire and had given up hope. I decided to revisit my posting and there was this gentleman who had appended the posting with details of a vendor called Triangle Technologies. The postig said "Call Sridhar and give him my reference" and that was it.

    Sridhar and I have been doing business since May, 08. We have met just once sometime late last year when he happened to pass by my office. When business slowed down, I requested Sridhar for a deffered payment terms and without hesitation he said yes. I cant remember the name of the person who referred me to Sridhar, but I do thank him for introducing me to a great soul like Sridhar, who has helped me bide through the slowdown.

    For me Ryze, rather BBN has been a life saver and I know I can turn to the members here and find a solution to a problem, whatever it could be.

    You may or maynot do business on Ryze or BBN, but you can always take away a lot of learnings from the postings here. For entrepreneurs or people who intend to becoming one, this is a great platfrom to read and learn things.

    There maybe language issues, there maybe ego clashes, there could be rotten eggs but if you can look all through that you will find Ryze working to help you achieve what you set out to do.


    Cheers
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jun 27, 2009 12:59 am re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Special moment to share

    Anita Raju
    1. Let us not blame Ryze for whatever.

    2. No one said there was ABSOLUTELY no business on Ryze. Surely there are exceptions.

    3. And, it was said that the classified type of business does get done: computers, real estate, selling second hand stuff...

    4. You meet people everywhere and we should thank anyone who helps us meet, Ryze included.

    5. But, after all that is said, we cant expect to find Ryze filled with patnership opportunities, business deals, mergers, acquisitions, orders and all that which broadly define the word business.

    6. It is a nice social network with some classifieds thrown in.

    But, that does not take away from its value. It is a great place. I like it the way it is. Defining what it is does not mean it is bad. It only means it is this, not that. And, it still is a nice place.

    Jun 27, 2009 10:09 am re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Special moment to share

    Nagarajan B
    Well ... I have been following this thread for quite some time since I liked reading Kumar's special moments. It reflects on the funny side of the effects of the slowdown all of us are experiencing in one way or the other.

    Anita is partially correct. But, I guess, it is, to a large extent dependent on how much time you spend on actual networking and building relationships.

    Incidentally, we got a corporate training assignment in 2007 from a contact developed on Ryze. We also managed to source some business leads as well as identify suitable vendors as and when required.

    Plus, I have made some great friends on Ryze. The good thing about the network is that you find a lot of entrepreneurs or would-be-entrepreneurs. And it is definitely a good place to share thoughts and ideas. Maybe, reduce some stress? And accept things we cannot change? :)

    ReplyDelete